Saturday, December 26, 2009

LIFE TIP: GO BEYOND YOUR PAIN


Yesterday a friend of mine accidentally took me out when she was dropping into a wave and I was paddling out. Using my own advice I blocked myself with my hand to prevent a serious head injury. I got slammed into full speed and the palm of my hand and my hip took the brunt of it. Thank goodness for no blood or stitches,  just a lot of bruises and pain. I tried to surf more but, I couldn't hold onto my board or push up. 
Luckily my daughter was there to help me get out of my wetsuit , strap the boards onto the car and drive us home. I iced  right away but I really wanted my CHIROPRACTOR!!! I knew if I could get adjusted as soon as possible it would greatly reduce my healing time. Being that it is Christmas weekend I won't be able to get a physical adjustment until Monday. 
Here I have the time to surf my butt off for the next few days and it hurts to even lift my bottle of beer (At least it is cold on my hand). 
I thought of the many life lessons that my Chiropractor has taught me, like is it really going to serve me to be injured? One of my jobs as a patient is to keep a healthy state of mind and to express wellness. That did it right there. I AM SURFING IN THE MORNING!!! With these positive thoughts in mind I drifted off to sleep.
Sure enough I woke up early and after a killer cup of coffee headed to the beach for a surf session this morning, picking off a few prime set waves. After I got out of the water,  put on some warm clothes and plugged my ipod into my ears,  I sat on the beach and watched the other surfers catch some waves. The sets are more walled and the tide was dropping (So glad I came in on that smoking right) but there are still some good waves to pick and choose from.
I thought of something else my Chiropractor had taught me: "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS GOING AWAY!" I thanked her in my head for teaching me to dig deep within myself and to rise above the pain for I never would have even thought it was possible for me to surf today, let alone for the next week! Oh yeah and would not have had these great waves I just rode!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask The Expert. Kim will personally answer your surfing questions. Leave a comment. And check the comments for her answer!!